Monday, January 19, 2009

A New Reason to Celebrate









As we embark on history, I am reflecting on the amazing contributions of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. I am hoping our nation won't forget the sacrifice Dr. King made to pave the way for our dreams to be realized. What an amazing feeling to see the fruit of his labor. If Dr. King was here, I am sure he would be honored to witness history continuing, but I am sure he is viewing history for his "mountain top" and will still get to see the "promise land". I am honored to be the continued recipient of his good works, dedication, compassion and love for people. When I look at how African American are able to completed degrees, get amazing jobs and live where we want, I am humbled. I tried to think about my parents and the battles they faced when looking for employment, wanting to vote, looking for approporate and affordable housing, trying to make a better way of life for their children and now watching the First African American President...again, I am humbled.
When I watch President Elect Barack Obama become President Barack Obama, I will remember the dream that came true. Today, we spent the morning celebrating at the University of Great Falls (UGF). Cory spoke (along with Pastor Caldwell from Mt Olive Missionary Baptist Church) and our Gospel service sang with the campus singers. This was an amazing experience as UGF is a Catholic school. I pray the experience will expand the minds of people and, as Chaplain Smith (Cory) reminded us...to continue building the wall of justice and unity. I have included pictures...aren't you proud of me. Smooches!!! Jamie

No comments: